How do I stop my Jack Russell jumping up?
Remember: your dog isn't a child
When you come home, does your Jack Russell jump up at you?
While this behaviour might seem cute and affectionate, it's actually him telling you he's the pack leader. This can lead to all sorts of bad behaviour, and to regain control you need to re-establish yourself as the leader by being calm and assertive.
You might be reinforcing this behaviour by giving him affection in response to him jumping up at you when you come through the door. You shouldn't feel bad about it - it's our natural response. Just remember that your dog is not a child, and should not be treated as such.
How to correct dog jumping
You can learn a surprising amount by watching how a Jack Russell mother interacts with her new puppies. Whenever the little puppy is naughty, the mother calmly and assertively moves him out of the way.
You too can emulate this by moving him out of the way, perhaps to another room by himself for a short period of time, or using the same 'distraction' techniques in our article about how to get your Jack Russell to stop whining.
While it might be hard at first to not shower your Jack Russell with hugs when he jumps up at you and your house guests, it's not a cruel thing to do - it's speaking to the dog in a language he understands.
Have you subscribed to my newsletter yet? Just enter your email and click "Sign me up!"
- Are Jack Russells good with cats?
- Are Jack Russells good with children?
- How can I keep my Jack Russell terrier from destroying my house?
- How can I stop my Jack Russell barking all the time?
- How do I stop my Jack Russell whining so much?
- Tip: The most valuable trick to teach your Jack Russell
- How to house train your Jack Russell
- Why you should always be a reward-centric owner
- How do I stop my Jack Russell growling?
- Use these 3 steps to get more respect and love from your Jack Russell
- Jack Russell separation anxiety
Please check out The Jack Russell Handbook, my latest book full of actionable Jack Russell training techniques you can use today. These have come from the stories passed on by my 2,500+ newsletter subscribers. Think of it as like a crowd-sourced book that takes all of this dog training advice and distills it into tips you can use today. Not only that, but you're free to take it with you on your iPad, Kindle device, or laptop. The advice in The Jack Russell Handbook has already helped hundreds of my subscibers 10x their confidence with their Jack Russell. Do you want the same effects?
comments powered by Disqus
Get Your Free
Jack Russell Advice
A 7 day dive into Jack Russell behaviour:
- Our free Jack Russell Toolkit ebook
- Subscriber-only access to our 4-lesson Jack Russell Workshop
- Our private Facebook group for Jack Russell Advice
- £3 off our Jack Russell Handbook
Welcome to the Jack Russell Terrier Advice Centre! We have everything you need to make your life easier as you begin raising your new companion.
If you've found this page useful, please share: