How can I keep my Jack Russell terrier from destroying my house?
Exercise and damage limitation
The Jack Russell's large amount of energy can sometimes translate into destructive behaviour. Here are a number of way to minimise any damage.
The first step is to make sure your dog gets at least an hour of exercise per day. Take him on long walks, play with a ball in the back garden, or go out for jogs around the estate if you're both feeling energetic.
If the Jack is tired after a long day of exercise, he will be less destructive.
The second step is to minimise the potential damage by moving any valuable items out of harm's way. So keep anything valuable that the Jack Russell could damage off the floor.
It's also a good idea to give him toys that don't make a mess when he chews them up. Teddy bears and other stuffed animals will make a huge mess of fluff and lining all over your house (trust me!). Try a tougher chew toy like this to keep him occupied without making a mess.
Thirdly, one preventative step to take is to discipline your dog if he starts to show signs of destructive behaviour from a young age. If he starts ripping up a toy, slam a door as an 'interrupter'.
Never hit your Jack Russell, as this will only encourage an aggressive nature. It is cruel and counter-productive.
Have you subscribed to my newsletter yet? Just enter your email and click "Sign me up!"
- Are Jack Russells good with cats?
- Are Jack Russells good with children?
- How can I stop my Jack Russell barking all the time?
- How do I stop my Jack Russell whining so much?
- Tip: The most valuable trick to teach your Jack Russell
- How to house train your Jack Russell
- Why you should always be a reward-centric owner
- How do I stop my Jack Russell jumping up?
- How do I stop my Jack Russell growling?
- Use these 3 steps to get more respect and love from your Jack Russell
- Jack Russell separation anxiety
Get Your Free
Jack Russell Advice
A 7 day dive into Jack Russell behaviour:
- Our free Jack Russell Toolkit ebook
- Subscriber-only access to our 4-lesson Jack Russell Workshop
- Our private Facebook group for Jack Russell Advice
Welcome to the Jack Russell Terrier Advice Centre! We have everything you need to make your life easier as you begin raising your new companion.