Are Jack Russells good with children?
The short answer is, it depends on how well you socialise your dog from a young age.
If you bring your dog into your family as a newborn puppy, and raise it well alongside your children, then you will likely not encounter any major problems.
Socialisation is a huge thing for dogs and their interaction with others. It helps them to get used to creatures of different shapes and sizes, and helps them not to feel too threatened.
A feeling of being threatened is the main concern for Jack Russells and children, since a child playing with a Jack's ears, hair, or body, may be interpreted as an attack by the dog.
Therefore, we recommend not only having your dog trained to be more obedient and less aggressive, but also 'training' your children to not irritate your Jack Russell.
There are of course issues with interactions between any breed of dog and very young children. It is generally not advised to leave any breed of dog alone on the floor with a very young child or baby, as it's not unheard of for the worst to happen due to a dog's innate hunting instincts.
Have you subscribed to my newsletter yet? Just enter your email and click "Sign me up!"
- Are Jack Russells good with cats?
- How can I keep my Jack Russell terrier from destroying my house?
- How can I stop my Jack Russell barking all the time?
- How do I stop my Jack Russell whining so much?
- Tip: The most valuable trick to teach your Jack Russell
- How to house train your Jack Russell
- Why you should always be a reward-centric owner
- How do I stop my Jack Russell jumping up?
- How do I stop my Jack Russell growling?
- Use these 3 steps to get more respect and love from your Jack Russell
- Jack Russell separation anxiety
Please check out The Jack Russell Handbook, my latest book full of actionable Jack Russell training techniques you can use today. These have come from the stories passed on by my 2,500+ newsletter subscribers. Think of it as like a crowd-sourced book that takes all of this dog training advice and distills it into tips you can use today. Not only that, but you're free to take it with you on your iPad, Kindle device, or laptop. The advice in The Jack Russell Handbook has already helped hundreds of my subscibers 10x their confidence with their Jack Russell. Do you want the same effects?
comments powered by Disqus
Get Your Free
Jack Russell Advice
A 7 day dive into Jack Russell behaviour:
- Our free Jack Russell Toolkit ebook
- Subscriber-only access to our 4-lesson Jack Russell Workshop
- Our private Facebook group for Jack Russell Advice
- £3 off our Jack Russell Handbook
Welcome to the Jack Russell Terrier Advice Centre! We have everything you need to make your life easier as you begin raising your new companion.
If you've found this page useful, please share: