Are Jack Russells good with cats?
Two different personalities
If you already own a cat, is it a smart idea to bring a Jack Russell terrier into the family?
Sadly, the short answer to this question is no. Even when socialised with cats from a young age, the innate personalities of cats and Jacks will clash.
First off, Jack Russells are high-energy creatures, and cats get stressed very easily. So in the best case scenario, an active Jack Russell will likely irritate your cat.
Secondly, Jacks were bred to be hunters, so a badly behaved dog may react to your cat, especially if smaller in size, in a negative way.
It's not unheard of for Jack Russell terriers to harass smaller creatures such as cats, due to their strong hunting instincts. Sometimes, even worse can happen, and in a worst case scenario you might find your Jack and cat fighting on a daily basis.
This can be reversed in the case of a timid or well-behaved Jack Russell, in which case a cat might give the dog a few swipes in the face. Cats aren't as good at judging body language as dogs or humans, so they usually interpret your Jack's inquisitive behaviour as aggression.
Have you subscribed to my newsletter yet? Just enter your email and click "Sign me up!"
- Are Jack Russells good with children?
- How can I keep my Jack Russell terrier from destroying my house?
- How can I stop my Jack Russell barking all the time?
- How do I stop my Jack Russell whining so much?
- Tip: The most valuable trick to teach your Jack Russell
- How to house train your Jack Russell
- Why you should always be a reward-centric owner
- How do I stop my Jack Russell jumping up?
- How do I stop my Jack Russell growling?
- Use these 3 steps to get more respect and love from your Jack Russell
- Jack Russell separation anxiety
Get Your Free
Jack Russell Advice
A 7 day dive into Jack Russell behaviour:
- Our free Jack Russell Toolkit ebook
- Subscriber-only access to our 4-lesson Jack Russell Workshop
- Our private Facebook group for Jack Russell Advice
- £3 off our Jack Russell Handbook
Welcome to the Jack Russell Terrier Advice Centre! We have everything you need to make your life easier as you begin raising your new companion.
If you've found this page useful, please share: