Jack Russell eye disorders
Common eye disorders in Jack Russell terriers
Ectopia lentis, also known as lens luxation, is the most common eye disorder passed down in generations of Jack Russell terriers. It is a dislocation of the lens within the dog's eye.
Posterior luxation is where the lens slips to the back of the eye, and anterior luxation refers to it slipping to the front of the eye. Posterior is less serious, because the Jack will still have normal sight out of the affected eye.
Your vet can treat ectopia lentis with surgery. The disorder occurs mostly between the ages of 3 and 8 years old.
Cataracts are a common eye disorder in older Jack Russell terriers, as with humans and other mammals. Cataracts is when the eye lens hardens, characterised by cloudiness in the eye.
The dog's vision will be blurred, and the condition can lead to blindness if left untreated. Again, cataracts is treatable by your vet in its early stages.
While mainly hereditary and down to old age, Jack Russells are also known to get cataracts due to diabetes, radiation, eye injury, or very high temperatures.
Have you subscribed to my newsletter yet? Just enter your email and click "Sign me up!"
- Jack Russell musculoskeletal conditions
- Is my Jack Russell constipated?
- Is my Jack Russell lactose intolerant?
- Jack Russell allergies and hayfever
- Does my Jack Russell have an ear infection?
- Does my Jack Russell have kennel cough?
- Jack Russell dandruff
- Does my Jack Russell have worms?
- Is my Jack Russell pregnant?
- Why does my Jack Russell keep eating grass?
Please check out The Jack Russell Handbook, my latest book full of actionable Jack Russell training techniques you can use today. These have come from the stories passed on by my 2,500+ newsletter subscribers. Think of it as like a crowd-sourced book that takes all of this dog training advice and distills it into tips you can use today. Not only that, but you're free to take it with you on your iPad, Kindle device, or laptop. The advice in The Jack Russell Handbook has already helped hundreds of my subscibers 10x their confidence with their Jack Russell. Do you want the same effects?
comments powered by Disqus
Get Your Free
Jack Russell Advice
A 7 day dive into Jack Russell behaviour:
- Our free Jack Russell Toolkit ebook
- Subscriber-only access to our 4-lesson Jack Russell Workshop
- Our private Facebook group for Jack Russell Advice
- £3 off our Jack Russell Handbook
Welcome to the Jack Russell Terrier Advice Centre! We have everything you need to make your life easier as you begin raising your new companion.
If you've found this page useful, please share: