Is my Jack Russell lactose intolerant?
Dogs don't always agree with milk
Milk and dairy products contain a sugar called lactose, and in the digestive system an enzyme called lactase is required to break it down.
Some dogs cannot produce lactase in their gut, and are therefore lactose intolerant. You can tell if your Jack Russell is lactose intolerant if it gets diarrhoea after ingesting milk, cheese, or any other dairy product.
When a dog is born, its lactase production is at a lifetime high because of its need to drink its mother's breast milk. After weaning, this production falls by about 10%. Also, dog breast milk has just over half the lactose percentage that cow's milk does (3.1% versus 4.5-5%).
Milk is an excellent source of high-quality protein and calcium, but these can be found elsewhere in other foods that it's less common for your dog's digestive system to disagree with.
Have you subscribed to my newsletter yet? Just enter your email and click "Sign me up!"
- Jack Russell eye disorders
- Jack Russell musculoskeletal conditions
- Is my Jack Russell constipated?
- Jack Russell allergies and hayfever
- Does my Jack Russell have an ear infection?
- Does my Jack Russell have kennel cough?
- Jack Russell dandruff
- Does my Jack Russell have worms?
- Is my Jack Russell pregnant?
- Why does my Jack Russell keep eating grass?
Please check out The Jack Russell Handbook, my latest book full of actionable Jack Russell training techniques you can use today. These have come from the stories passed on by my 2,500+ newsletter subscribers. Think of it as like a crowd-sourced book that takes all of this dog training advice and distills it into tips you can use today. Not only that, but you're free to take it with you on your iPad, Kindle device, or laptop. The advice in The Jack Russell Handbook has already helped hundreds of my subscibers 10x their confidence with their Jack Russell. Do you want the same effects?
comments powered by Disqus
Get Your Free
Jack Russell Advice
A 7 day dive into Jack Russell behaviour:
- Our free Jack Russell Toolkit ebook
- Subscriber-only access to our 4-lesson Jack Russell Workshop
- Our private Facebook group for Jack Russell Advice
- £3 off our Jack Russell Handbook
Welcome to the Jack Russell Terrier Advice Centre! We have everything you need to make your life easier as you begin raising your new companion.
If you've found this page useful, please share: